APS : Architectural Preservation Services

Projects

Patterson Park Concrete Entrance Gates

Baltimore, Maryland

Photo 1Photo 2Photo 3Photo 4Photo 5

Client

Friends of Patterson Park and the City of Baltimore

Completion Date

2010

Background

Patterson Park began as a defensive position for the British Army during the War of 1812. The land was donated to the city of Baltimore and used as Union troop encampment and hospital during the Civil War. During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the park grounds were gradually enlarged and embellished to provide the citizens of Baltimore with a pleasant green open space. Patterson Park has been the home of a natural beach swimming pool, skating rink, boat pavilion, pagoda, and many landscaping features.

Scope

APS cleaned two concrete gates at the northwest and northeast corner entrances of Patterson Park. Product testing was carried out to determine the gentlest and safest means possible to clean the gates without disturbing the park users. The gates were then cleaned and minor repairs made. Openings in the gates, which formerly held bronze plaques, were closed off to discourage animal nesting and water infiltration. APS also handled the installation of large precast concrete urns on the northwest gate.