APS : Architectural Preservation Services

Projects

Everyman Theatre

Baltimore, Maryland

Photo 1Photo 2Photo 3Photo 4Photo 5

Client

Cho Benn Holback + Associates

Completion Date

2009

Background

Constructed in 1911 as the Empire Theater, this venue for upscale burlesque was designed in the Beaux-Arts style by architects William H. McElfatrick (New York) and Otto G. Simonson (Baltimore). By 1915, it was known as The Palace, and was converted to a movie theater, which operated until the late 1920s. Several short-lived ventures occupied the building (including a garage) until it reopened as the Town Theatre in 1946. Like many downtown theaters, it closed in the 1990s. The building is slated for restoration as part of Baltimore's revitalization of the west side shopping and theater district, and will house the successful regional Everyman Theatre troupe.

Scope

APS performed a forensic survey of the main facade's terra cotta units from a man lift, including sounding tests, investigative penetration of the surface to observe the fastening system, and some emergency repairs/removal. A diagram of the types and location of damage was furnished to the project's architect.