APS : Architectural Preservation Services

Projects

Gilman Hall

Baltimore, Maryland

Photo 1Photo 2Photo 3Photo 4Photo 5

Client

Bovis Lend Lease, Inc.

Completion Date

2008

Background

Gilman Hall, a four-story Georgian building named for the first president of Johns Hopkins University, was dedicated in 1915 and designed around the German model of scholarship: instruction through seminars rather than lecture. Faculty offices and seminar rooms were built around a library core.

Scope

Bovis Lend Lease, Inc., a project management and construction company, was awarded the project to renovate Gilman Hall. They hired Worcester Eisenbrandt, Inc. (WEI) to perform the restoration of the historic windows in the building, which includes nineteen art glass windows presented to the university in 1930 by Mary King Carey in memory of her father, Francis T. King, an original university trustee. APS performed the initial assessment for WEI, and submitted a report that described existing material conditions and provided a methodology for removing, transporting, storing, repairing, and reinstalling the windows. In total, forty-six windows required restoration.